Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Things that I am thankful for

Early Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (at least people who live in America. To all those that live outside of the U.S.,  Happy Thursday then!)


Tomorrow here in the United States is known as Thanksgiving. Many people have many different views on this holiday due to history, but to me, regardless of whatever the interpretations may be, it is a day that I take the extra time to remind myself how thankful I truly am with all the wonderful "little things" that are often over looked and taken for granted. 




Other than being thankful to be working, having a warm home with people who care and love me, I have come to realize that the biggest thing that I take for granted everyday is reading comics. 




Reading. Comics. Those two words together sound a bit ridiculous for this grand gesture that I'm making. But given some time and thought it's not just about reading comics. 


I have the ability and eyesight (although I wear glasses) to see the pages. I can see color. I live in a country where certain comics genre and plotlines can be published. This same country also belongs in a world where illteracy is a huge problem and I blessed enough to have free public education where being able to read at least at a highschool level is enforced. 


It is not just about what I can see and understand but also what I can feel. There is nothing like holding a comic book in my hand and feeling the soft wind ripple through my hair at each turn of the page. There is a certain disease out there (whose compliated scientific name escapes me at the moment) where select people cannot feel. It is sad that they cannot experience a touch from a loved one, the warmth of holding a cuddly animal that loves you, or the gentle roughness of a page in your favorite book. 


Many publishers have found ways around people with disabilities such as audio-comic books. But even with that, there is nothing like experiencing another world with all the intended senses hard working comic book companies originally wanted for us. 




Reading comics seems like such an simple thing that I do everyday that it has completely slipped my mind of what the bigger picture it represents. All that I should be thankful for. 




I know that with our busy schedules and the bustle of everyday life, it hardly occurs to us to stop and remember all the wonderful things in our lives however big or small.  When one stops to really count all the small things even, they really do add up!


So to make up for all those lost times that slipped by, take some time tomorrow (or right now) and make a mental (or even written list) of all that is good in our lives, review it in our brain and go about the rest of your week with a smile. 


Feel free to leave a comment below of some of things that you guys are thankful for! Let's share!


Cheers! And Happy Thanksgiving! (For those that live in the U.S.!) 











No comments: